You are currently on the following page:
Sentences & detention
The Office for the Execution of Penal Sentences and Justice exercises jurisdiction, i.e. it is responsible for prison sentences, measures and detention, it organises and monitors community service, monitors the adherence to the instructions and enforces monetary penalties and fines.
The Office for the Execution of Penal Sentences and Justice has different mandates throughout all phases of criminal justice:
Following the conviction:
- In case of suspended custodial sentences: probation assistance supervision of compliance with the terms of probation execution of learning programs.
- In case of immediate custodial sentences: Enforcement of the sentence in semi-detention, day-release / enforcement of custodial sentences in prison.
- In case of community service: Enforcement of community service
- In case of therapeutic measures: Enforcement of the out-patient or of in-patient measures and indefinite incarceration in suitable institutions or with a suitable therapist.
- Following the release from prison or after the execution of a measure until the end of probation: Probation assistance, supervision of compliance with the terms of probation.
- Enforcement of alternative custodial sentence for unpaid monetary penalties und fines.
Next to its mandate in the framework of criminal justice, the Office for the Execution of Penal Sentences and Justice carries out coercive measures under the law on foreign nationals on behalf of the Migration office.